Nuclear Engineer - New Graduates
Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Nuclear Engineer - New Graduates
Radiant is seeking highly motivated early career nuclear engineers! You'll have the opportunity to work with mentorship and guidance from experienced nuclear professionals in a fast-paced startup environment. You will be responsible for various aspects of nuclear design and analysis as priorities shift and expertise is gained. You'll get exposure to interdisciplinary teams across mechanical, software and electrical and deepening understanding of integrated systems. You'll have the opportunity to make an impact in Radiant's goal to be the first successfully fueled commercial reactor in over 50 years by 2026.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Ownership of Nuclear design and analysis, examples:
- Shielding: Transport, Operational, Self-Activation and environmental Activation, Waste Categorization, working with both customer and regulatory requirements
- Run coupled neutronics and thermal calculations to refine the thermal model in various scenarios
- Mechanical: Assess damage effects and bulk material properties changes due to high flux on ceramics and metals inside the core
- Neutronics: Develop control schemes and design control systems using transient simulations to finalize source sizing and detector selection
- Fuel and Waste: Model burnup distribution, design burnable absorber, and perform criticality assessments for transport and waste facility compatibility
- Develop requirements for hardware systems, structures, and components
- Create and manage a Bill-Of-Materials (BOM).
- Find and develop suppliers for all components.
- Own subassembly design, manufacturing, and test schedules.
- Collect requirements, provide expertise and feedback to engineers in other functional areas via clear, constructive communication.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in nuclear engineering or equivalent degree from accredited institution.
- Proficient in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, C++, C#, or another scientific computing language
- Ability to relocate to Radiant’s office in El Segundo, CA (Greater Los Angeles Area).
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Competency in distributed software development process
- Hands-on experience designing hardware and/or performing tests
- Related experience with OpenMC, Serpent, MCNP, MOOSE, BISON, RELAP, CFD, Pronghorn, GRIFFIN, or other nuclear software packages
- At least 1 year of software development experience:
- C, C++, or Python development experience is preferred.
- Prior use of code repositories, unit testing, performance benchmarking, and software review / release processes.
- Familiarity with good documentation practices and implementation of style guidelines.
Employee Benefits for Eligible Employees:
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.